Oh man, has it been a long time since I last posted. I wanted to hop on here and share some recipes I have come up with recently. To start with here is a recipe for those one bowl lovers. Southwest Chicken & Rice my way! I ate it from our local favorite deli for lunch the other day and decided to make some of my own. Therefore, this recipe was born, from what I wanted in a bowl. This would be a great recipe to make at the first of the week meal prep for a week’s worth of lunches.
It is quite coincidental that the day I had this for lunch I received my Imperfect Foods order. Funnier thing is that I had ordered diced tomatoes, pinto beans, cilantro, brown rice and limes, LOL! Imperfect Foods helps reduce food waste by providing food items that were either surplus, discontinued items, cosmetic imperfection, ends & pieces, and also short-coded! I love my Imperfect Foods subscription. It gets delivered right to my door either once a week or every other week, depending on what I choose! If you would like to check it out and get $10 toward your first box click my link here.
All equipment is available on my website or click each individual item below.
Cast Iron Skillet, Citrus Press, Garlic Press, Wooden Spoon, Cutting Board, Can-Opener, Knife
Southwestern Chicken & Rice
- Cast Iron Skillet
- Citrus Press
- Garlic Press
- Wooden Spoon
- Cutting Board
- Can Opener
- 3 lb boneless skinless chicken breast cooked & shredded
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 1 can diced tomatoes 14.5 oz, DON'T rinse or drain
- 1 can pinto or black beans 15.5 oz, rinsed & drained
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped coarsely
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 4 cups chicken broth or water
- 3 tbsp chili lime spice blend or 1 pkg taco seasoning
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 cups cheddar or mexican blend cheese shredded
- Gather your ingredients!
- Chop all ingredients that need to be chopped and open cans!
- In a large skillet heat your oil on medium heat. Add in garlic, onion and bell pepper and cook until onion is translucent.
- Next, add in the tomatoes, beans, and seasoning. Stir continuously! Simmer for 4-5min.
- Then add the rice and broth! Cover and simmer until rice is cooked through 12-15 minutes. I highly suggest covering. I didn't and the liquid cooked down too much too quick. So, my rice wasn't cooked through and I had to add a little more liquid.
- Add cilantro, lime juice, and cheese. Stir and serve.
- Serve as is, in a bowl topped with more cheese.
- Optional toppings would be avocado, cilantro, sour cream, etc.
- Serve on a tortilla like a burrito!
- If you want stir in a can of corn!
- To make it vegetarian skip the chicken, broth & cheese. Use water instead of broth.
1 thought on “Southwestern Chicken & Rice”
This article provides clear idea designed for the new viewers of blogging, that genuinely hoow tto do running a blog. Kathleen Dell Ariela
Comments are closed.